Archivist unearths lost KGS Treasure
The School Archivist, Mrs Halford, recently discovered that a piece of KGS history was up for sale on Ebay!
The item in question was a silver key which was presented to Canon E W Barnes on the occasion of him opening the new Physics Laboratory at the school on the 17th May 1924. Mrs Halford and Bursar, Mrs Smith acted quicky to secure this piece of KGS History and it is now on display in the Fenwick Library where students can read more about it and other pieces of the School's History.
Mrs Halford writes, "Canon Barnes was an interesting figure, a Fellow of the Royal Society, who gave up his career in mathematics at Cambridge University in order to pursue his vocation in the church. At the time of his visit he was the Canon of Westminster Abbey. Later that year, he was made Bishop of Birmingham." She continues, "The number of boys at the school had increased rapidly after the war, from 162 in October 1918 to 280 in 1923 and the new accommodation (Physics Laboratory) was required to cater for this growth in numbers."